24 September 2010

Harvest Moon

I was watching the news the other night and they mentioned that this is the first time in many years that a Harvest Moon actually fell on the Fall equinox.  I looked it up on Google and found the following information on Harvest Moon from the Old Farmer's Almanac:

Harvest Moon- September 23, 2010  Fall Equinox

Full Harvest Moon – October This is the full Moon that occurs closest to the autumn equinox. In two years out of three, the Harvest Moon comes in September, but in some years it occurs in October. At the peak of harvest, farmers can work late into the night by the light of this Moon. Usually the full Moon rises an average of 50 minutes later each night, but for the few nights around the Harvest Moon, the Moon seems to rise at nearly the same time each night: just 25 to 30 minutes later across the U.S., and only 10 to 20 minutes later for much of Canada and Europe. Corn, pumpkins, squash, beans, and wild rice the chief Indian staples are now ready for gathering.
This is the Harvest Moon taken from my courtyard with a pine branch in front of it.
September 23, 2010   Fall Equinox

OK, so if the Harvest Moon takes place in September as mentioned above... what do they call the October Full Moon during those years?  Hmmm...

Onto other subjects I've been thinking about lately.  I've been thinking about my Mom and her sister, Roberta. My aunt lives in the state of Washington and recently visited with my Mom with her new-ish husband, Fred.  As soon as she arrived, she took my Mom and Dad over to Manchester to a car dealership and pointed out 5 cars to my Mom. She told her to "pick one".  My Mom is now the owner of a brand spanking new Toyota, courtesty of her sister.  I'm still waiting for one of my sister's to do this with me.  Or one of my brothers... I'm not going to be picky.  Don't think it'll happen, but I bet my Mom didn't think it would happen to her either.


My Mom, Aunt Roberta and Uncle Fred with Mom's new car.

I've also been thinking about where I'd like to go take some photos this weekend.  Mike is going to have to work.  His company just moved from a couple of locations into one location.  They need to unpack all their equipment and his office stuff.  So more than likely I won't be seeing much of him this weekend.  I've been to the beach so many times, I really don't get inspired by much to take photos.  I just need to find somewhere to inspire me!  We'll see what happens.

1 comment:

I Am Woody said...

Holy cow! I wish my sister would give me a car!!

Awesome shots of the harvest moon!!