14 April 2010

Reconnecting

I've been on Facebook for a couple of years now. It's been great reconnecting with friends from High School and grade school.  Mostly, they are the same people I went to school with my entire school career as I lived in the same house for all those years.  As a matter of fact, my parents still live there!

But catching up with kids from the old neighborhood and the school yard brings back many memories that I haven't thought about in years. Some of these memories are funny, some not so funny. Some of the neighborhood kids I'm reconnecting with now were younger than me when we all lived in the old neighborhood and other than knowing that they were "so and so's little brother/sister", I didn't really know them very well. 

By being friends on Facebook with them, I'm learning to know them in a whole new way... and sometimes it falls in line with my memories of them, and sometimes, it just blows those memories right out of the water!  One that I am thinking of right now has got a huge sense of humor and from what I can tell, we could/would be very good friends in real time.  Things in her life haven't gone the way she expected, but she's weathered it all and has come out the other side of all her problems very stable, loving, and kept her sense of humor alive.

We have a lot of the same interests, a lot of the same experiences, have visited the same locations, share the same type of outlook on life and have close ties with our families.  I do look forward to meeting her again when we move back home and I hope that we can become the friends that age and circumstance didn't let us have when we were younger.

No comments: