02 February 2010

Courtyard Secret

Last week I was outside in the front courtyard messing with my plants when I realized I was being dive-bombed by a hummingbird.  Knowing that they are attracted to bright colors, I double checked what I was wearing... blue shirt, blue jeans, blue sweatshirt jacket... nope, it wasn't my clothes that attracted that hummer. I decided to see what she (it was female) would do if I sat at the patio table.

So sitting there for a few minutes, she finally flew from the tree by the front door over to one of the pine trees in the side yard. I watched to see where she went and then after a few minutes of her staying there, I got up to go see what she was doing.

This is what I found.  Do you see it?

OK, now do you see what she was doing?

I've never seen a hummingbird's nest before!  So cool... and so SMALL!

I've been keeping an eye out on the nest and she sits there for quite some time before flying off.  I'm not sure if there are eggs or not, but I'll let you know if I happen to see any babies!

No comments: